June 21, 2009

Runway Cycling 2009

The annual National Runway Cycling & Skating was held this morning at Paya Lebar Air Base. This is the first time I participate as a cyclist. However, it is not my first time involved in this event since I participated as a medic on cover during last year's event, hence getting to know of this special event, which gives the public an opportunity not only to step foot onto the restricted military runway, but also, cycling and skate on it.

I woke up at 6.10am this morning where i washed up, had a light breakfast and got myself prepared. Reached the busstop along Avenue 5 where i waited 15minutes for bus 72's arrival. I was scheduled to meet YY and James at Hougang Bus Interchange, where we will take a taxi down. While waiting at the busstop, I embraced the freshness of the morning air as I've yet to come in contact with it for a while ever since I ORDed and need not wake up early.

I arrived on the dot at 7.20am. James was late. However, we found out that there was free shuttle bus servicing between Hougang Interchange and PLAB, much to our favour. We board the shuttle service and arrived at PLAB at 8.10am. The place was packed. We had to go through security check and then proceeded on to redeem our bike which we reserved before hand. As the crowd was rather large, we were kind of lost for directions. We finally managed to make our way to the centre of the carnival where i met up with Nelson. Yongbo was also present. We promptly advanced to the flag off point where i can see ten of thousands of participants in bikes and skates.

We cycled the 15km leisure route, which is one round the runway. Along the way, the sun got brighter and the weather hotter. I managed to spot people i know, mainly those I've worked with during my NS days. Basically they're there as medics on cover. I saw 1ms's staff richard, my ex 2ic ah lu, my understudy dillon and also alex. Woot. Basically went over to say hi. Well, there was a small incident that happened. Two cyclist happened to narrow me and cut into my way from both sides which caused me to brake suddenly to avoid them. However, this caused a lady cyclist to crash into my bike and fell off. Thankgoodness she was not seriously injured. Well, i guess she must be cursing like mad despite my apologies.
We finish cycling at around 10am. The weather was freaking hot then. We seeked shelther at one of the hangers and rested for an hour or so. Afterthat, we return our bikes and went on board the free shuttle service back to Hougang where we had lunch. I also bought some standby medicine and a small pouch for tomorrow's orientation which will last for a week. Basically, I've never participated in any major mass physical activity event like marathon or something so i guess this year's runway cycling would well be my life's first. It feels different to participate for 2 years, last yr as a medic on cover and this yr as a participant. What an eventful day. What an experience.

No comments: