January 21, 2009

HOTO + ORD Treat

These few days were one of the happier days in my NS life. Lets start with yesterday. After assuming the role of Dispensary IC for 1 year 3 months, I finally did an official hand over, under the witness of my boss, to my understudy. At the moment when my boss signed the form, followed by my understudy and then me, i felt a sudden relief as though all responsibilities have been removed from my shoulders as i pass my department on to someone whom i've picked, trained, work with and learn from for the past 4 months. Recalling my times as the IC, i started from scratch, not knowing any work procedures and with the department in a mess, filled with discrepancies. I have no upper study to teach me what to do and how to do. As part of my own initiative, i read the directives and work manuals, consulted my luckier friends in other medical centres who have an upper study to teach them. I established a brand new system under my charge, taking a bet to see if things worked out. Over the months, the discrepancies were cleared and this department is well established as for now. Compared to the time i was picked to take over it, it was a 180 degree turn for the better. Now that it was time to past on to my understudy, i feel that he was much more luckier than me, at least there was something for him to sustain compared to nothing for me to start on. Speaking of my understudy who is now officially the new IC, i strongly believe he is up to the challenge as he is responsible, diligent, hardworking and also, intellectually capable. He is a good natured guy and its my honor to know him. All the best to you, Dillon, remembers the constant reminders of cautions and you will do fine.

This afternoon was our ORD threat. Me, together with 2 other colleagues who ORDs in Feb treated the entire medical centre Botak Jones lunch. I never thought this day would come as i was always the one being treated, batches after batches. Finally its my turn. Although some money from my own pocket was sacrificed, but it was worth it as it marks the near end of our journey in NS and a joy we wanted to share to the rest who ORDed later. As i always tell them, endure through and your time will come. After lunch, i started my off/leave spree which will last until when I ORD in march. In between, during the last 4 weeks before i ORD, i will return once every week. Being one of the last to start clearing off, it was quite miserable before, but now, its nothing more than feeling relax. The next phase would be when i ORD and start preparing myself for uni days.

No comments: