October 10, 2008

Pre Outfield Syndrome

There will be a major exercise lasting 2 weeks starting this weekend. All innocent, honest and upright combat medics in my medical centres are down for this exercise as cover medics for the different units involved. I have my share of it by having to cover for 5 days. It will be the case of 5 days surviving with nothing but my medical equipments in the unforgiving mosquitos-infested forest of western Singapore. As such, my pre-outfield syndrome starts to kick in, damping my morale to a new low, even though its the weekend. My cover officially starts on wednesday evening. I've experienced this kind of tormenting environments many times before in the past hence i will not wish to experience it for even one more time. Me fighting the boredom and the commando trained mosquitoes is a dreadful thing to do. Time seems to past very slowly during outfield and the mosquitoes seem to be a bigger enermy than any other human aggressors. In the morning, you battle the boredom, the weather, the heat waves, the houseflies....at night, you battle the mozzies in their fighter jets. Argh !!! And a few days later, your hair turns clay-ish, your nails stained with dirt, your face filled with grease....its horrible. Nonetheless, i will continue to encourage and motivate myself to survive through it. Winter signifies the arrival of spring. I can tell everyone, at least i am a MAN, i survive through these! At least i am honest and upright not to plan some crafty, scheming evil plots to dodge these outfields. At least i dont visit these place as often as the infantries, guards and commandos. At least i am only there to cover as a medic, and not to be physically involved in the manning of equipments. Or at least i am just consoleing myself. Weekend, its time to stock up my outfield comfort items, be it real physical relief or just psychological relief....insect repellents? books? tibits? Haiz....just want to tell my friends who have not been through NS that...if you think that your life as a student is tormenting enough, think of your friends hiding or camping in the forest (not Mas Selemat!!!), protecting SG. Oh well.

No comments: